With the significant rise of bubble milk tea in Canada in recent years, the bubble tea straws market has become more dynamic than ever before. This article will provide an overview of bubble tea straws and help you determine which type is most suitable for your business.
What are bubble tea straws?
Bubble tea straws are designed for boba tea which contains boba or bubble pearls, pudding, and other toppings. Bubble tea straw is typically larger than regular straws to accommodate the boba pearls.
Material bubble tea straws
Bubble tea straws are made from various materials. The most commonly used materials are plastic, paper, original nature (such as bamboo, grass, or rice), silicon, glass, or metal.
- Plastic straw in the market now is mostly made of polypropylene which takes more than 250 years to decompose. As an alternative, biodegradable straw, known as PLA straw, which is made bioplastic, has emerged. These bio straws are from plant sugars such as corn starch, cassava, sugar cane, or sugar beet.
- Original natural straw: 100% ecological, this straw is made from natural materials such as bamboo, grass, and rice. Among these options, bamboo straws are particularly favored. Bamboo straws can use up to 4 months, or even 6 months with good remains.
- Silicon, glass, and metal are less in demand and are hard to find in the market.
Standard specification of bubble tea straws
Bubble tea comes in different sizes, ranging from 12oz to 24oz, and often includes many toppings like boba pearl, pudding, and jelly. Consequently, the straws must be long and wide enough to accommodate these components. Generally, bubble tea straws will be 8-10 inches long, and 0.40-0.50 wide in diameter.
Advantages and disadvantages of bubble tea straws
Advantages of bubble tea straws
Thanks to their wider diameter than other straws, bubble tea straws are flexible with boba tea and other thick drinks like smoothies, and milkshakes, … They allow for an uninterrupted flow of drinks and bring a better experience for customers.
Additionally, bubble tea straws offer a variety of beautiful designs and different durable materials. That means your brand can customize according to your need such as printing logos on them and using them as a gift.
Furthermore, by using reusable bubble tea straws, brands can reduce monthly costs and optimize packaging expenses.
Disadvantages of bubble tea straws
Despite their utility, bubble tea straws, especially plastic ones, raise many concerns regarding human health and the environment. Each day, up to 16 million straws are used daily in Canada. Most of them end up in landfills and take up to 200 years to decompose. Plastic straws can sicken or even kill marine animals. For human health, chemicals from plastic could leach into liquids, potentially affecting estrogen levels.
Paper is another popular material for straws. But this kind of straw gets easily soggy in drinks leading to an unpleasant experience for customers. However, it is worth noting that paper straws are gluten-free, making them suitable for individuals who need to avoid gluten.
Considerations when buying bubble tea straws
If you are a boba tea shop or restaurant considering using bubble tea straws, keep the following points in mind:
- Straw material: Canada is banning single-use plastic straws. So, switching to sustainable materials is necessary. For dine-in purposes, restaurants and boba tea shops can use reusable straws. Biodegradable straws, or straws made from natural materials like rice, bamboo fiber, … are suitable for take-out. The material of straws must be durable, and not easily soggy in water. Plus, different materials can lead to different experiences for customers.
- Straw specification: Due to the inclusion of various toppings, bubble tea straws must be long and wide enough to ensure a smooth flow of drinks, and provide a pleasant feeling for customers.
- Supplier: Whether a chain store or a small business, search for a supplier who can customize your needs. This can help you control better your budget and operation process or business strategy.
The tendency of bubble tea straw in the Canadian market in 2023
Say no to plastic straws
A 2022 study by Trivium Packaging revealed that 86% of consumers under 45 years old are willing to pay more for sustainable packaging. Considering that the bubble tea market is primarily focused on young people who are between 18-30 years old, and with the ban on single-use plastic straws in Canada, plastic bubble straws are likely to lose their position in the market.
Reusable straws such as bamboo straws can be reused and offer a long-term solution. Boba shops and restaurants use them for dine-in service or use as a gift, an idea to encourage people to live greener and return to the shop. This idea is promoting a green lifestyle which has become popular in recent years.
With plastic straws banned and reusable straws being costly, then biodegradable or PLA straws are a viable solution for restaurants and boba shops. These straws are reasonably priced. They are sturdy in both cold and hot beverages. However, proper composting in commercial facilities is necessary to ensure they decompose correctly.
Where to buy bubble tea straws?
Numerous wholesalers sell bubble tea straws in various colors, materials, and price ranges, … based on your requirements. It is easy to find and connect directly through their website to place your order.
Being a packaging provider for restaurants, KimEcopak offers reusable bamboo straws and biodegradable/PLA straws suitable for bubble tea and thick drinks. Our bamboo straws are of high quality and are made in Vietnam. While biodegradable straws have a wide diameter and can be used with any type of beverage. KimEcopak also offers attractive exclusive policies for long-term partners, such as fixed price in 6 months, 5-7% discount, scheduled orders, and free storage, …
It is essential to understand the various types and characteristics of bubble tea straws. To meet consumer needs and environmental concerns, boba shops should consider switching to eco-friendly bubble tea straws like reusable or biodegradable straws. Choosing the right type, along with a reliable provider and a good strategy, can enhance your business and contribute to a greener future.