Organic ice cream, like organic food, has long been a sustainable health trend encouraged by governments worldwide. So, what are the benefits of this organic ice cream trend? Let's explore the nutritional value of this health-friendly treat with Kimecopak and discover popular organic ice cream brands in Ontario.
What is organic ice cream?
Ice cream which is produced without the use of any synthetic chemicals is considered as organic ice cream. The primary component in ice cream, milk, must be assured from the cow-raising process onward, including: animal feed free of pesticides, hormones, support agents, or stimulants. Cows must consume at least 30% natural grass in their meal.
To increase the health advantages compared to cow-milk, many natural ice cream companies are now using plant-based milk alternatives products like soy-milk, oat-milk, and almond-milk.
Benefits of organic ice cream
Compared with traditional ice cream, organic ice cream has the following advantages:
- Safe for health: because organic ice cream says no to chemicals from dairy ingredients to the production process, organic ice cream does not bring harmful substances into the body such as: Castoreum, Butyraldehyde, Propylene Glycol, Diethyl Glycol ...
- Better nutrition: Vitamins, minerals and nutrients are maximally preserved in the special production process for organic ice cream.
- Environmental implications: the more we consume plant-based, or natural, products, the less we release CO2, harmful chemicals into the environment.
- Ice cream taste better: Organic ice cream offers natural flavors that align with our taste, providing freshness and lightness.
Top 5 Organic Ice Cream brands in Ontario
As summer approaches and the temperature starts to rise, what could be better than indulging in some ice cream? But have you ever thought about the impact of your ice cream choices on the environment? In this blog post, we will explore the top 5 eco-friendly ice cream shops in Ontario, so you can satisfy your sweet tooth guilt-free.
Kawartha Dairy: Located in Bobcaygeon, Ontario, Kawartha Dairy has been producing ice cream for over 80 years. They pride themselves on using locally sourced, natural ingredients, and packaging their ice cream in returnable glass jars to reduce waste. Kawartha Dairy also uses energy-efficient equipment and has implemented a recycling program to further reduce their environmental impact.
- Booyah Inc.: Located in London, Ontario, is committed to using only natural and organic ingredients in their ice cream. They also use sustainable and compostable packaging, such as bamboo spoons and recycled paper cups. In addition to being eco-friendly, Booyah Ice Cream also supports local farmers and businesses by sourcing their ingredients locally.
Dutch Dreams: Located in Toronto, Dutch Dreams has been serving up delicious ice cream since 1985. They use locally sourced ingredients and make their ice cream on-site daily to ensure maximum freshness. Dutch Dreams also uses eco-friendly packaging, such as compostable spoons and paper cups, and they encourage customers to bring their own containers to reduce waste.
La Diperie: Located in various locations across Ontario, offers a unique twist on traditional ice cream by allowing customers to customize their own dipped cones. They use locally sourced, all-natural ingredients in their ice cream and offer vegan and dairy-free options. La Diperie also uses compostable packaging, such as biodegradable spoons and paper cups, to reduce their environmental impact.
- Nani's Gelato: This gelato shop in London, Ontario, uses organic and fair-trade ingredients to create their delicious flavors. They also use compostable cups and spoons and have a focus on reducing their carbon footprint
Source: Nani's Gelato
These top 5 eco-friendly ice cream shops in Ontario offer not only delicious treats but also a commitment to sustainability and the environment. By supporting these businesses, you can satisfy your sweet tooth while reducing your carbon footprint. So, next time you're in the mood for some ice cream, consider visiting one of these eco-friendly shops and indulge guilt-free.