Many food businesses, such as sushi restaurants, bakeries, and so on, use food packaging with a window as one of the most effective ways to showcase their great cuisine. So, how can food packaging with window help these businesses grow? Is this product suitable for your business? Learn more in the article below.
What is window packaging?
Window packaging is a style of packaging that includes a clear panel, typically made of plastic film, that allows customers to see the product inside.
Window packaging is quite for popular and used in various industries, including:
- Food: Bakery goods, cookies, snacks, fruits, vegetables
- Cosmetics: Makeup, perfumes, skincare products
- Electronics: Headphones, smartphones, tablets
- Toys: Dolls, action figures, board games
- Apparel: Socks, underwear, scarves
- Gift boxes
In general, window box packaging is usually comprised of SBS (solid bleached sulfate) paperboard material or sometimes a heavier fluted paperboard and features a clear plastic window. As the window packaging can be used as primary packaging and secondary packaging, there are some differences in materials.
- In case of primary packaging, the main body of window packaging is usually made from cardboard or corrugated board, while window film is made of PET or PVC.
- In case of secondary packaging, it can be made from different materials like paper, plastic, or foam.
What Is Window Packaging for Food Made of?
When it comes to use with food, window packaging is used as primary packaging. That means it contacts directly with food. Therefore, food packaging with window is made from the materials as follow.
Material of Main Body
Main body of food packaging with window can be made form:
- Cardboard: A cost-effective and readily available option, often made from recycled materials.
- Paperboard: More rigid than cardboard, offering better protection and often used for premium products.
As it is used with food, the paper is usually coated or lining for moisture resistance, grease resistance or making it more durable.
What Plastic is Used for Food Packaging with Window?
Window film can be made from:
- PET (polyethylene terephthalate): this is the most common material for window film. It is clear, durable, and food-safe. It is also recyclable in many communities.
- PVC (polyvinyl chloride): This is a less expensive alternative to PET, but it is not as clear or durable. It is also not recyclable in most communities.
- Biodegradable films: These are becoming increasingly popular as a sustainable option. They are made from plant-based materials and can be composted after use.
Is the plastic film impact to quality of food?
The impact of plastic film to quality of food depends on several factors. Here are some main factors:
The type of plastic film
- PET (Polyethylene Terephthalate): Considered the safest option for food packaging due to its inertness and lack of leaching
- PVC (Polyvinyl Chloride): Can leach harmful chemicals, especially when exposed to heat or high temperatures.
- Biodegradable films: this is an eco-friendly and safe for food to use.
The thickness of the plastic film
- Thinner films are more likely to allow oxygen and moisture to permeate the packaging, which can affect the quality and shelf life of the food.
- Thicker films are more likely to protect the food from these elements, but they may also be more difficult to recycle.
The storage and handling of the packaged food: Food that is stored at high temperatures or exposed to direct sunlight may be more likely to deteriorate due to the interaction with the plastic film.
Types of Window Packaging for Food
There exist different types and shape of window packaging for food. Here are some commonly used types:
- Transparent film: The most common type, offering clear visibility of the product.
- Graphic window: Incorporates graphics or printed designs onto the film.
- Die-cut window: Creates custom shapes to highlight specific product features.
- Rectangle: The most classic and versatile shape.
- Square: Popular for showcasing smaller products or creating a uniform appearance.
- Circle: Adds a playful and eye-catching element.
- Oval: Offers a softer and more elegant look.
- Custom shapes: Can be designed to match the product's shape or brand logo.
What Are the Benefits of Window Packaging for Food Business?
Window packaging can be a powerful tool for food businesses to drive sales in several ways:
Increased product visibility
- Customers can directly see the product's quality, freshness, and appeal, fostering trust and confidence. This is crucial for visually appealing products like pastries, fruits, and chocolates.
- Increased engagement: The visual impact of the food leads to increased attention and consideration, making customers more likely to pick up the product and explore it.
Enhanced product appeal
- Consumers are naturally drawn to visually appealing products. Window packaging allows the product's colors, textures, and shapes to shine through, making it more attractive and enticing.
- Enhanced brand image: A well-designed window packaging with attractive graphics and branding can create a premium and high-quality image of the product, encouraging customers to perceive it as valuable.
Reduced purchase risk
Window packaging removes the element of surprise by allowing customers to see exactly what they are buying. This reduces the risk of dissatisfaction and impulse purchases based on misleading packaging, leading to fewer returns and increased customer satisfaction.
Improved impulse purchases
- Visibility of the product's deliciousness, freshness, and unique features can trigger impulse purchases, especially for products positioned in strategic locations like checkout counters.
- The ease of evaluation encourages customers to make decisions quickly, leading to increased sales.
- Enhanced shelf presence: Products with window packaging stand out on crowded shelves, attracting more attention and increasing the chances of being picked.
- Marketing opportunities: The transparent window can be used to display product information, ingredients, and promotional messages, effectively communicating with customers and influencing their purchase decisions.
What Type of Food Is Suitable with Window Packaging?
Window packaging can be useful with numerous food business, specially with food business that offers short shelf-life foods and is willing to show food appealing, including bakeries, confectionary, sushi restaurants, etc.
Here are some specific examples of suitable foods:
- Fruits and vegetables: Apples, bananas, berries, grapes, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, etc.
- Baked goods: Cookies, pastries, cakes, breads, muffins, croissants, etc.
- Candy and chocolates: Bars, gummies, lollipops, truffles, chocolate-covered nuts, etc.
- Snacks: Crackers, chips, popcorn, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
- Ready-to-eat meals: Salads, sandwiches, wraps, rice bowls, pasta salads, etc.
- Meat and poultry: Fresh cuts, sausages, hot dogs, chicken breasts, etc.
- Dairy products: Cheese, yogurt, butter, cottage cheese, etc.
However, there are some types of food not Suitable with window packaging. Here are some of them:
- Light-sensitive: Leafy greens, herbs, and certain oils deteriorate quickly under light, requiring opaque packaging.
- High moisture content: Fish, seafood, and some meats can fog up the window film, making the product less appealing. Consider specialized packaging with condensation control.
- Long shelf life: Products like canned goods or dried pasta do not benefit from window packaging as their appearance remains unchanged over time.
Considerations When Choosing Food Packaging with Window
Aside from the type of product they sell and their sales and marketing goals, businesses should consider a few other factors when opting on food packaging with a window, which include:
- Size of window: The size has to be big enough to showcase key features without compromising structural integrity.
- Stiffness and strength: choosing the right thickness and material will help to protect product and maintains shape of packaging.
- Cost: Your business should find consider carefully this factor as the cost for window packaging may be higher than normal packaging. Find a trusted provider, take advantage of discount and buy in bulk will help your business solve the budget issues.
- Sustainability: Choose recyclable or biodegradable materials can boost your brand image and increase customer bases as the demand of eco-friendly packaging is rising.
- Compliance with Regulations: because the window can be made by plastic, so it’s important that your packaging meets food safety and regulation of single-use plastic.
Here are some additional tips for minimizing the impact of plastic film on food quality:
- Store food in a cool, dry place.
- Do not expose food to direct sunlight.
- Use food within the recommended shelf life.
- Choose food that is packaged in recyclable or biodegradable materials.
- Recycle or compost the plastic film packaging whenever possible.
Food Packaging with Window from Kimecopak
At Kimecopak, we offer sushi container with window to showcase your delicious sushi for North America market. This type of container is made from eco-friendly materials and has outstanding features, such as water-resistant, oil resistant, anti-foggy.
Available at different sizes, our container with window can be used not only with sushi but also various kind of foods including baked goods, ready-to-eat meals, fast-food,…
Besides, Kimecopak has also exclusive offers for long-term partner which includes fixed-price in 6 months, discount from 5-7%, free storage and scheduled shipping. For more information, please contact us via email email@example.com or Kimecopak Facebook Fanpage.